WASHINGTON, DC, August 17, 2020 — As Congress continues to delay passing a comprehensive economic relief bill, 12 million plus live events workers — planners, caterers, florists, talent, producers, technicians, engineers, suppliers, designers, venues, and more — are entering our sixth month of economic hardship, with little end or relief in sight.
The live events industry – which annually contributes over $1 trillion in direct and indirect spending to the United States economy — was the first to shut down amid the COVID-19 pandemic and will be the last to reopen yet we have received little in federal aid, attention or support. With expected industry revenue loss above 80%, many businesses are facing permanent closure, and we’ve furloughed on average 85% to 95% of our workforce. Not addressing the Live Events Industries devastation would be catastrophic to our country’s economy and the futures of millions of Americans.
The Live Events Coalition and the millions of workers, contractors, small businesses and the allied industries it supports are calling on Congress to provide immediate relief to the industry by passing a comprehensive relief bill that includes:
- An updated and improved PPP program
- An updated and improved EIDL program
- Inclusion of the RESTART Act
- The ability for businesses who have already received PPP and EIDL to reapply based on need
- Easier access to SBA 7(a) funding
- An updated and improved PUA with program with continued FCUP
- Liability protections for Live Events businesses and our clients to return to putting on events per local requirements and safety guidelines
“To be clear, we are not asking for a government handout. We are simply asking for necessary support to keep an entire group of industries from collapsing as we wait for the ability to safely reopen,” said Nancy Shaffer, President of the Live Events Coalition.
Live Events Coalition, a new national coalition of live event and entertainment businesses, their employees, and independent contractors, exists to provide advocacy, resources and a network for the community of voices that make up the live events industry and are the lifeblood of every event.